Help to exercise more
Exercise - why bother?
How much exercise should we all do each week?
- Moderate intensity exercise - at least 150 minutes a week. For example we can do 5 x 30 minutes.
- Vigorous intensity exercise - at least 75 minutes a week.
How should I start?
- Choose something you enjoy e.g .walking briskly with a friend is fine, and aim to increase it gradually.
- If you can only manage to walk 100m, then fine. Walk this distance, rest and "admire the view" and then do another 100m, stopping and starting as your body allows. Gradually build the time / distance up over a few months.
- Some people buy pedometers and aim, ideally, for 10,000 steps a day. When you start you may not be able to manage anything like this, but any exercise is better than none.
- After 2 weeks of regular exercise you should begin to find it easier and it will have become more of a habit.
- Most of these activities are either free or very affordable, and the health benefits are worth far more than the financial cost!
- Don’t forget, gardening, taking the stairs instead of the lift, hand washing the car, taking the kids or dogs for a brisk stroll, not using transport for a trip to town or doctors…..these all count as exercise if it gets you a bit out of breath and your pulse up.
How can I self-refer to Pulmonary Rehabilitation (exercise) classes?
- Historically this has been done after referral from your GP or Hospital team but "self referral" is now also an option.
- Click here for further information about how to self refer - all it takes is a phone call.
Walking - getting back into exercise
- Walks within Aberdeen City with tea and coffee afterwards.
- A great way to socialise and get back into some gentle exercise
- Health Walks are short, local, low level walks to suit beginners and those who can't manage fast or far. There are regular walks happening across the Walk Aberdeen project.
- For more information please contact the Health Walks Coordinator on 01224 047928
Bridge of Don - Alex Collie Sports Centre - 10.30am
Torry - Old Torry Community Centre - 2.30pm
Peterculter - Peterculter Sports Centre - 10.30am
Woodside - Fountain Community Centre - 11.00am
Dyce - Asda Dyce Cafe Area - 1.30pm
Sheddocksley - Sheddocksley Sports Centre - 1.30pm
Bridge of Don - Jesmond Sports Centre - 10.30am
Kingswells - Kingswells community Centre - 10.30am
Altens - Altens Community Centre - 10.30am
Ferryhill - Albury Outdoor Centre - 10.30am
What if I cannot walk very far?
New sessions are being created which include 20 – 25 min of chair based exercise followed by a short, flat walk outdoors (as short as 10 meters or a few laps of a bowling green!)
More information on this is following soon (Jan 2020)
I can manage even more exercise - what can I do?
- Saturday morning 5k timed run, try and beat your personal best.
- Various locations including Hazelhead Park, Abedeen beach, Stonehaven.
- Suitable for complete novices all the way through to Mo Farah.